FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – After a recent dispute over funding for World Cup security, FIFA representatives failed to provide clarity on financial sources to local officials during a heated town meeting on Tuesday night.
In a wood-paneled room at Foxborough’s town hall, Mike Loynd, president of the Boston 2026 host committee, faced relentless inquiries regarding the nearly $8 million the town estimates it will require for public safety at the seven World Cup games at Gillette Stadium.
“Honestly, it baffles me that you’re here and we still have no idea where this funding is coming from,” expressed board member Mark Elfman.
Earlier this month, Foxborough town manager Paige Duncan indicated to ESPN that the town is dedicated to hosting the global soccer event this summer. However, she emphasized the need for funding clarity by mid-March to grant FIFA the necessary license for the event. Two weeks later, the town remains without answers.
During a discussion, select board chair Bill Yukna asked Loynd, “Is FIFA, as the licensee, ultimately responsible if no other funding comes through?”
“That’s quite a broad question,” Loynd responded.
Elfman interjected, “It’s not broad at all.”
Loynd noted that the host committee holds responsibility for public safety as per the hosting agreement but did not elucidate on funding matters.
Kevin Clark, FIFA 26’s director of venue operations, stated that he could only address operational queries.
“FIFA 26 is here to collaborate operationally with the stadium. Regarding the financial agreement, we must defer to both the stadium and the host city,” Clark said. “We cannot comment on the financial requirements.”
The federal government has allocated $625 million for the 11 U.S. host cities “to enhance security and preparedness,” but it remains uncertain how much of this amount Foxborough will receive. Town officials asserted they will not utilize taxpayer funds on the assumption that Foxborough will be repaid later. Instead, they seek guarantees from organizers for upfront funding.
Select board vice chair Stephanie McGowan firmly stated that the town would not issue FIFA the necessary license until they receive adequate answers.
“We will not issue this license unless everything is clearly established,” she said. “I assure you, this board will not authorize that license.”
Duncan had previously informed ESPN that the $8 million would cover law enforcement costs by Foxborough police around Gillette Stadium. While the stadium is owned by The Kraft Group, led by Patriots owner Robert Kraft, the town owns the land it occupies and issues the same license for NFL games that FIFA requests.
McGowan emphasized that Foxborough expects the Kraft Group to provide financial backing for the projects and expects World Cup organizers to meet the same expectations.
“Why would we be expected to do this for an outside group demanding all sorts of support for 39 days, then just disappear?” she questioned. “Once Boston26 is gone, who do we pursue for recourse?”
Yukna mentioned that while the Kraft Group has claimed it is not responsible for the funding, they are in negotiations with the town regarding possibly providing the funds upfront, with reimbursement expected from the federal grant. However, he noted this would only cover part of the expenses.
As the meeting wrapped up, Yukna stated that Foxborough aims to be cooperative and host a successful tournament.
“We want nothing more than to sign the agreement and ensure that financial issues aren’t our primary concern as the events begin,” he remarked.
Foxborough police and fire chiefs engaged FIFA officials in conversation after the meeting concluded. Police Chief Michael Grace declined to comment to ESPN.
When approached in the parking lot, Clark also refrained from commenting, saying, “I’ll have to refer you to FIFA.org,” under the soft glow of the streetlights.
Loynd answered questions from local TV reporters before his departure, joking about the specifics of the federal funds, saying, “Any day now.”
Gillette Stadium is scheduled to host its first World Cup game on June 13, featuring a match between Scotland and Haiti, and is also set to host two knockout games, including a quarterfinal on July 9.
